Saturday 19 September 2015

Job Security

I am blessed to have two jobs after spending two years looking for a job, living on next to nothing with the financial support of my mother. It is sad to see those who have finished their bachelors or even masters degree and not find a job in that field.

Even though I am still finishing my degree and I am also not working in my field, I am blessed to have job security and good benefits that come with it. Yes, I have those days that I am like why am I not working as a paralegal or why am I not working in an office with as much experience as I have, but, maybe right now is not the time to have those jobs and the ones I am working now will lead to a much more successful job in the future.

Be grateful all of you that have a job and no matter how much you dread going to work, be thankful that you can support yourself because having to be an adult and still be financially dependent on your parents is to me a huge hit to your self-esteem and even mental health in regards to how you look at yourself and all that you have studied and worked hard for. College/ University is horrifically hard and time consuming and when you don't get that job right after you graduate can really damage how you look at all of your hard work. Don't for one minute think you aren't good enough, think that you are "too" qualified for what you applied for and there are better jobs out there.

It is okay to not find a job right after college/university but don't think you are better than taking that job at the local market or bar. It is a pay check that means financial security and builds your self-esteem by being financially independent again.

I may not be where I want to be career wise but I am beyond grateful for the jobs I do have and the security of knowing that there is money in the bank and bills are paid. Yeah, I do live at home, but my circumstances are not that of a "normal" student job fail. My circumstances allow me to support my mother in maintaining our family home with my aunt in the nursing home leaving my fiancee and myself to help my mother.  Don't get me wrong I pay the bills I can and she carries on what she pays. I am thankful to still live in my family home where I grew up and feel safe and secure. Honestly I couldn't see myself moving any time soon. So, reality for me is that I have an awesome opportunity to take care of my mom and aunt and be financially secure without having to be consumed by shame that I am not working in my field of study. That job will come in its own time.

Just be grateful for today. That job is just around that corner. Don't give up on all the hard work you put in to your education, it will be put to use soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment